How much money is enough to be filthy rich? A million? Pfft, pocket change these days! $20 million? $50 million? Anything over about $3-4 million, I would say, equates to being rich. Anything over $10 million would be filthy rich, I think. Of course, everyone’s take on what is “rich” and what is “filthy rich”are different. But, let’s play a game. Let’s imagine that the lotto was $50 million and YOU WON THE ENTIRE LOT. What would you do? What WOULDN’T you do?
Here is my list of 5 things I WOULDN’T do:
- Tell anyone, except Mr W and our immediate family. I think people’s attitudes towards you change when you have lots of money.
- Quit my job. I like my job and I like working. I would want a sense of normalcy so I wouldn’t quit work.
- Buy a ridiculously expensive car. I think they are a total waste of money and make you look like a wanker with a capital W.
- Give any cash to family members or at least any significant cash. I would buy assets for them, rather than giving them any cash.
- Stop being a cheapskate (sorry).
- See an expensive allergy doctor about getting rid of Mr W’s cat allergies so I could have a short haired exotic persian cat. If Mr W failed to consent, I would just pay the doctor lots of money to give me the cure and give it to Mr W while he was sleeping!
- Start buying Viva paper towels instead of the shitty home brand one I insist on buying now because it is cheaper. Hey, big spender.
- Throw out all of Mr W’s “around the house shirts” he has had since he was 16 and pretend the bank man took them when he came to give me advice about money. Scrap that, all of his clothes that are 5 sizes too big, have holes and have no elastic left in them.
- Pay someone to wear all my new shoes in for me so I don’t get blisters (with socks on of course, otherwise, ew).
- Buy an entire street in Ashgrove (my beloved favourite Brisbane suburb) and build myself an estate, renaming it ‘”Whippersnapper Estate” so that I don’t have to have any neighbours, because I hate people. With a gate, a big gate, so no-one comes to my house unless invited. Also with a huge shed so that Mr W can go in there and build shit and leave me alone to read magazines (see next item of purchase).
- Get a subscription to basically every magazine in the world (except, maybe, Horse Monthly).
- Buy Finish Quantum dishwasher tablets at full price and not just when they’re on sale. Daring!
- Use the bloody airconditioner in summer whenever I feel like it and not wait until it is uncomfortably hot. Likewise the heater in winter.
- Buy chocolate by the crate.
- Give a very large percentage to curing cancer, solving third world poverty and eradicating disease.
Oh and, as an afterthought – I would be investing the lot of it and (other than Whippersnapper Estate) continuing to live a relatively modest lifestyle. Except for those Viva paper towels and Finish Quantum tablets, the only proof that I’m rich as!
So, what would you do if you won $50 million? What would you do? What wouldn’t you do? Would you spend it or save it?
Whippersnapper has written 37 posts.